Monday, December 31, 2007
Saturday, December 29, 2007
3 cardigans (1 is a gift)
13 pairs of socks
4 bulky scarves
7 lacey scarves
2 pairs of mittens
2 felted bags
1 baby sweater set
Has anyone been doing the math as we go along? According to my calculations I should be well into 2009 before this is all done!
Still working away on Monkey socks right now and the Lacey scarf. They won't be finished for 2007, but there is some great progress. I'll post some pictures as soon as I finish up at least one of the socks.
Friday, December 28, 2007
Patons Classic Wool Merino - 2 - Pink and Darker Pink is going to be Parallelograms
Sandnes Garn Smart - 4 - in Green and Darker Green is going to be Striped Illusion
Fleece Artist Sock - 2 - purpley and in teal/green are going to be socks... don't know which patterns yet, but sitting there are two pairs of socks :)
Noro - 3 - So far I'm thinking Shag, but I'm not sure. Maybe another entrelac...
Ornaghi Filati Super Merino, - 3 - ecru, navy and white is going to be Meandering Stripes
And finally Berroco Peruvia in lovely, wonderful red-purple that makes me want to squeal! This is going to be Cardigan for Arwen. I was sick of waiting for the gray colourway to come in, so I'm going to use the gray on some mittens and use this new stuff for the cardigan.
Must finish wips. Cannot wait to cast on.
Thursday, December 27, 2007
Okay so how big was the 'wow' that just escaped your lips? Now multiply that by about a million, that's how much of a yarn high I am on right now. I want to smell it, then roll in it, then contimplate how to kick my husband out of bed so that I can sleep beside my yarn tonight... off to scheme!
Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Yeah I knit like lightning when I have large amounts of time blocked off for just sittin' around with family. Everyone loved their hand knit gifts as well! yay!
Monday, December 24, 2007
Saturday, December 22, 2007
And I now have some picture worthy progress on the Secret Pal yarn scarf for myself:
I love this one so far. It's actually working up a lot faster than you might imagine; this is only... 2.5 hours of knitting! Once I have finished this... I will try my best to NOT cast on for another scarf... socks, yes I will make socks! In fact I might cast those on now so that I have some mindless knitting available for Christmas. That way I can still pay attention and socialize with family while knitting. Yes, Monkey socks it is!
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Can you tell it's hand-knit laundry day at our house? I like to do everything in one big batch. So for another two days my gym will look like this picture; comforter on floor, wet items on comforter. The cats love these days, they like to iritate me by crawling under the comforter and messing up the nice 'lay flat to dry' arrangement... I know, I know, close the door right? Part of me wants to let them have their fun :)
So what am I knitting now? Well I have Monkey socks on needles, started Arwen (still waiting on yarn - harumph) and
Monday, December 17, 2007
Absolutely thrilled and cannot wait to vaccum my house... this is where the 'when did I grow up?' comes in ;-)
Saturday, December 15, 2007
The orange chunky orange wool/acrylic blend will be a nice scarf. The Merino lace weight will be something feminine and beautiful that's for sure! And the Sisu sock yarn will be lovely socks from Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave.
Yesterday one of my coworkers gave me a Christmas gift. A $10 gift certificate to our LYS Beehive. I knew I wanted to knit an entrelac scarf, but that's all I knew, so I went in and talked to Beth, who is really the most amazing person there. She persueded me to try Noro, and I'm glad she did. Entrelac is trisky to figure out the first time around, but now it seems so easy! And it works up fast too - bonus!
Last of my knitterly friends Christmas presents will be delivered tonight. But it's a secret, unless you're on Ravelry.
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Friday, December 7, 2007
1. I decide despite the freezing cold and darkness that is setting in fast I MUST wash my car.
2. After washing the outside I realize the inside is gross too
3. Clean windows, and interior surfaces
4. Break out vaccum cleaner
5. Start vaccuming until something starts to smell funny...
6. Change bag in vaccum cleaner, maybe it's just full and having a hard time.
7. Start vaccuming again until smell returns full force
8. Look down and see vaccum cleaner on FIRE!.
9. In one not-so-smooth movement open garage door, while unplugging and turning of vaccum cleaner all while hurling it outside into the puddle left in the driveway from washing the outside of the car just prior....
Good thing I washed the outside of the car first. That soapy puddle saved the day.
ps. Garage took an full two hours to 'un-stink'
pps. New vaccum cleaner has been added to Christmas wish list
ppps. Husband is STILL laughing at me
Thursday, December 6, 2007
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
2007 sure had it's ups and downs:
- I gained back almost 20lbs of the weight I'd lost in 2006. Booers.
- We sold our condo - most stressful time of my life to date. Uber booers!
- We purchased our town home and moved in. Couldn't be happier, this place is the best.
- Road Trip to Seattle with my mom. I don't think there was a single day we weren't in tears from laughing so hard. SO MUCH FUN!
- Road Trip to Canadian Rockies with Greg. So relaxing and the first time we'd gone away for more than a day together in 1.5 years. It was awesome, despite the rain.
- Work life... what a roller coaster, good news is for the last month it's been on the high side of the roller coaster and things look like smooth sailing ahead.
- Money... the love hate relationship of my life! My credit card was paid off at the beginning of 2007 when we sold our condo, yay profits. But now I look at my bill to date and it's right back up there saying hello, how can you afford to pay me?!
- I had health problems and discovered I'm lactose intolerant so it's been an adjustment that I'm still not used too - boo!
- I flew a plane, a real airplane. And man was that a great experience. If I had the money, I would fly and fly and fly all day long.
- I picked up knitting again and have been doing some mad, crazy knitting projects that I am SO proud of. Pretty much all Christmas gifts this year are hand knit. Wow!
Goals for 2008 (these are all across the board, from things I've been putting off for long enough, to fancy whims):
- Lose those 20 damn lbs! I've done it before and dang it, I can do it again!
- Learn. I'm taking a Thai cooking class and a photography class in February and I can't wait. I realized that 2007 didn't have a lot of 'learning'
- Actually figure out this whole politics thing, not saying understand opinions etc, just understand the general structure of things so that maybe, just maybe, one day I can feel confident enough to vote.
- Home: tile backsplash, bar stools, and window coverings that the cats can't destroy
- Compile a cookbook of my favourite recipes and publish it through Blurb to give to friends and family as Christmas gifts next year. Even if they aren't my own food creations, I've always wanted one cookbook with all my favourites, it seems I have a ton of books with only 3-4 well used recipes in them each. Kind of like music, where you buy the whole CD, but only like one song.
- I really need to clean out our 'stuff' so Garage Sale this year, promise! This is one of those, maybe next year, maybe next year, ... things. So, this year, 2008 damnit!
- Another one I've been putting off is insurance, I don't actually know what my life insurance coverage is, only that I have some through work. Must get that figured out. Also house insurance, I know our coverage isn't enough, and that's just tempting fate people. I are dumb.
- Go skiing again, it's been years. And actually we're going in January so this works out well. It's our Christmas present to each other.
- Go on one of the following trips: West Coast Trail (still looking for a trail partner), Houseboat vacation, Cruise somewhere hot.
- Pay off at least $3500 of my credit card debt. Don't gasp, yes it's high, and yes I know I need to learn from past experience... I'm working on it.
- Given the goal above, the next is to Knit only from the stash or gift yarn until it runs out. Which is plenty, trust me.
What are your goals for 2008?
Sunday, December 2, 2007
I can't believe that I have more updates for you! I finished Greg's Knucks SO fast that I'm really not sure what to make next.
- One pair of Knucks for the hubby for our Anniversary Dec 22 (estimate: 6hours) Started tonight - DONE
- Socks for step-sister - Dad called, step-sister and step-brother won't be at Christmas this year so no gifts :)
- Toque for step-brother - Dad called, step-sister and step-brother won't be at Christmas this year so no gifts :)
- Toque or mittens for Jane - I've been thinking that it wouldn't be quite fair to give something to Jane and not to Chris, plus me and Jane have never done a gift exchange before... so it might be awkward... I've decided to simply give them the antipasto and salsa like the other couples we're gifting to.
I think I'll start the ski masks for me and Greg. We're going on a week long ski trip in January, our Christmas present to each other, and we both need these. I can't believe I'm ready for Christmas!!! All I have to do is mail out Christmas cards, that's it, all done, fini!
Saturday, December 1, 2007
Progress of the Christmas List
- One childrens mitten for a coworker DONE
- One ****** for Jennifer (estimate: 7 hours) Frogged in favour of something better which is finished
- One pair of Knucks for the hubby for our Anniversary Dec 22 (estimate: 6hours) Started tonight
- One awesomely manly scarf for Dad DONE
- Pair of mittens, also for Dad to match the scarf DONE
- Socks for step-sister
- Toque for step-brother
- Toque or mittens for Jane
Not bad for one weeks work :) Now I leave you with some finished pictures to go wrap presents... while it's snowing outside!
Saturday, November 24, 2007
- One childrens mitten for a coworker who is putting together a really neat Christmas gift for her nephew and needs only one mitten :) (estimate: 1hour)
- One ****** for Jennifer (estimate: 7 hours)
- One pair of Knucks for the hubby for our Anniversary Dec 22 (estimate: 6hours)
- One awesomely manly scarf for Dad (estimate: 10hours)
- Pair of mittens, also for Dad to match the scarf(estimate: 6hours)
And then there is the 'If time allows' list:
- Socks for step-sister
- Toque for step-brother
- Toque or mittens for Jane
What does this mean? Put down that Arwen you crazy lady and get knitting! There is 30-35 hours of knitting on the 'must make' list, and roughly 20 hours on the 'If time allows'. Repeat after me, I think I can, I think I can...
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
- Flower basket shawl - I've only been dying to get my hands on that pattern for some 5 months now. Thank you so much Vera! And I can't believe the trouble you went to, to get your hands on it, although I suspect any yarn crawl isn't really a hassle ;-) I cannot wait to cast on.
- The yarn will be used as a pillow tonight, for sure. Anytime Handpainted and Merino come together in a label, I drool slightly. Seriouslly. hmm drool, pillow, maybe that's not such a good idea. This will definitely be on the knitting needles shortly.
- The candles are heavenly
- The little cards are adorable (and just in time for two baby showers I'm attending)
- Frog ornament is totally me (33 sleeps till xmas) a.dor.able!
- The felted soap looks interesting in an exciting way. Something I don't think I have ever seen or heard of before and really looks like it has the potential to be the coolest thing ever. I will let you know how it turns out.
Saturday, November 17, 2007
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
And finally, and this one is kinda sad, my Grama is sick. I was just told yesterday evening that they had to admit her to the hospital with chronic bronchitis, which is apparently really bad especially considering her age (almost 92). She'll be there for at least a week and they'll re-evaluate. I love my Grama more than words can express, and I am so sad at the thought that she might not be here much longer. Anytime she's sick, which isn't much, I get SO scared. I'm giving the shawl to her. She is the one that taught me to knit, and I know she would be so proud and treasure it. So it's hers, all wrapped up and ready to go. For the rest of the week I will be admittedly distracted just hoping I don't get the phone call to hop on the ferry to say good bye. Part of me thinks I'm over reacting, cause damnit she's tough. 91 and still driving, still living at home alone. She's such an amazing woman. But still I wait, and I fear that phone call...
Monday, November 12, 2007
I also finished of Greg's socks which will be part of his stocking stuffers. And wrote up all of our Christmas cards. I will be stuffing them into envelopes tonight! Mad. Progress.
I finished one sleeve of my Mom's Christmas cardigan, attached it, and did the neckline. I've also started the second sleeve and expect the whole kit and caboodle to be done by the end of the week. Assuming I can find buttons... Anna?
I also got my Grandparents and my niece finished and ready to be wrapped. Phew, I'm glad that's almost done. The only thing I haven't had luck with is my outfit for the two company Christmas parties... my waistline isn't agreeing with me. I don't believe I can be the only person out their experiencing a bit of a tummy that is shopping for a dress or something fancy... but the stores proved me wrong. Apparently I'm the only chubby girl looking to go out this season hahhahaaha oy, the search continues :) Please don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy about being a bit 'thicker' this year, I know I'm healthy, I'm just perplexed at the lack of options for my size (is size 9 really considered chubby anyways?) .
Fall is definitely coming to a close and winter is just around the corner. You can see the leaves are almost all gone. There is quite a strong windstorm over Vancouver Island today... Dena is observing the construction progress across the street. She makes such a good supervisor :)
So all said and done, it was a great weekend. It was relaxing and productive, which to me is the best kind of weekend you can have :) Now I'm off to knit some more on the Cardigan and stuff some envelopes... unless I cast on for some endpaper mits... hmmm..
Sunday, November 4, 2007
I really enjoyed knitting with this fibre. I don't think I'd do it again as it's really sticky so it's pretty time consuming to knit with, but it was fun. And hey, now I can say I knit with banana fibre! Thanks Secret Pal!
- Cardigan for Arwen
- Bristow... yes I know I just made this for my mom.
- Demi (would require purchase of this book)
Which one do you think I should make?
Somehow I managed to use ChartA from the pattern and not ChartB so all the cables are going in the same direction... oh well it's too late now in my mind to go back. So I'll just make sure to continue the mistake throughout and it will end up looking intentional :) All that's left is the sleeves (which are always quick), seaming in all together and the neckband. Too easy. Hmmmm I'll also have to decide on some buttons...
I went to Beehive yesterday and ordered more of the Peruvia that my Secret Pal bought me. It's way too nice to be something small. I ordered enough for a sweater, and will be perusing Ravelry most of the morning looking for the perfect pattern :)
Most of the Christmas catalogues from various stores were delivered this weekend, Canadian Tire, Sears, London Drugs, etc. I don't know why, but this year I'm just not into it. I'm normally the person who has their decorations up on Nov 1st if Greg will let me. This year I haven't even started my Cards, and I should have because normally I make them all... perhaps this will be a store bought year :(
Thursday, November 1, 2007
I have climbing tomorrow after work, and a rushed dinner before a Salmon Kings game (my work gives these tickets away all season and it ROCKS!). I plan on going for sushi lunch and a thrift store knitting needle mission with AnnaK on Saturday (absolutely cannot wait. weeeee!). Followed by a night out with another couple. Soooo Sunday, yes, Sunday I will knit this right front. And I will finish it damnit! Only 53 sleeps till Christmas!
I was also called tonight and informed I will have house guests on Tuesday night. This unfortunately means I will have to postpone Knit Night... and I can't even do it the following Tuesday as it's our strata AGM, yuck. Ack, and I will need to take the Wednesday off of work... I hate giving late notice for these sorts of things.. but I can't very well kick family out at 6:30AM... Can I?
Friday, October 26, 2007
Almost immediately after finishing I cast on for my mothers Christmas present. Bristow. It's going well so far although I have my concerns about size... oh well if it doesn't fit her at least it's something I would wear and I can just make her something else. So I will continue :) Plus you never know what will happen after blocking, maybe it really will be big enough.
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Monday, October 22, 2007
- Sylus approves of the progress thus far
I didn't quite accomplish the goals for the weekend as far as knitting goes, but I think it went well. One sock finished, the second started, and 14 repeats done on the scarf (only 6 to go). Scarf will be done by end of week... promise.... looking at calendar, 63 days left, ACK! Ok 4 more repeats WILL be finished tonight and the last two... tomorrow! Maybe.
In other news, I scored an amazing set of China with the cabinet we are getting from Greg's parents. I love it pretty, but not frilly. I already have China, but not nearly a full set. My mother has a similar pattern and is delighted to keep mine for me, for now. I managed to get Mother-in-law to empty the cabinet and put everything into three piles, sell, give away, and find new homes for... to clarify she offered the cabinet, I'm not forcing her to give it up LOL.
Christmas plans are starting to come in as well, my Aunt has 'booked' Christmas Day Dinner at her place, yay that means I don't have to do it! Birthday plans so far are to eat sushi and lots of it with Greg and Anna. I plan on being tipped over and rolled out the door after such a feast :) Although I'm still in denial about having to get any older. Every year I seem to get closer to 30 and I don't like how fast it's coming up on me.
Friday, October 19, 2007
- attend Cowichan Fibre Fair with the lovely Miss AnnaK
- finish step-mom's scarf (only 12 repeats to go... I think I can do it)
- finish one sock (I'm just working the heel flap now)
I was thinking about Christmas earlier this week and was excited about being only 70 days to go. Later this week, my mind went 'Holy Crap! 68 days! I better get knitting! Knit like the wind fingers, knit!' What has everyone else got on their Christmas knitting list? Here's what I have left:
Finish step-mom's scarf
Somthing for husband.. socks? Sweater?
Something special for someone that reads my blog
Hat for friend
I think I can get that all done in time...
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
I also started a new sock. The Jacket I made for Greg... well I gave it to him for his birthday instead of Christmas. I know, I know, but I just couldn't help it. It was finished two days prior to his bday and it was so wonderful and great. Anyways He's wearing it a lot which makes me SO happy. So now I need to knit him something for Christmas, therefore we have the beginnings of a sock:And here is the second attempt at Beth's socks... I think I will take my Secret Pals advice, finish them and give them away. I'll make Beth some different socks... something better.
I stopped taking the bus. I drove in one day last week cause I was sick and didn't feel like walking the 20min from bus to work. Well, I was hooked. I have a really nice car and I miss it. I really, really miss it. The heated leather seats are workin' their majic as winter weather sets in and I just can't help myself. So I talked it over with Greg and I'm going to drive to work, but park on the road to save on parking space costs. I get in early enough in the morning that getting a spot on the road isn't a problem. We'll see how it works out.
edit: As I sit here reading over my post, I wonder if anyone will actually see the error in the one diamond... Also 3 words for you Lace Blocking Wires! I guess I'll hop on Knit Picks later today.